Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Photography Love: Part I

I've had a lot of time to play around on Etsy: creating treasuries, discovering new favorites, and looking through old shops I've marked as favorites over the years. I've found that perhaps my favorite kind of photography is a technique called "through the viewfinder" -- where the photographer uses one camera to take the photo of an image as it appears through the viewfinder of another, often older camera. The results are amazing, very vintage looking -- and I absolutely love them.

I'm very much drawn to the work of Scarlet Beautiful that's posted in her Etsy shop. From cruiser bicycles, to balloons and flowers -- these are a few of my favorites...



In looking around online, I've found there's an entire, quite popular movement of "Through the Viewfinder" (or TtV) photography. This Flickr group has more than 6,000 members! A simple search on Flickr finds many more TtV treasures, as well...

And, of course, playing on Etsy almost always ensures I'll find something else I love. Today it's another shop from Scarlet Beautiful called Velvet Morning... vintage portrait photo collages. Now I'm just getting distracted...


Perhaps I'm in need of taking a photography class at The Art Institute of Portland this winter. After being an employee there for six months+ I can take classes for free. What a lovely way to translate my love for others' photography into something I can do myself.

Okay, that's it for today. It's afternoon movie-time with Mara!

Love,
Katery

No comments:

Post a Comment